We are officially only 5 days away from Valentine’s Day. (Saturday, February 14th) I don’t about you mamas, but one of the things I look forward to is the little chocolate valentine my hubby gets for me every year. Chocolates filled with pecans, almonds, coconut and caramel are some of my favorites, but despite my 30 plus years of eating chocolate, I was shocked to find I don’t know nearly as much about it as I thought. After doing some Googling here are 5 things about Chocolate I bet you didn’t know.
1. Chocolate is an endangered treat. Drought and disease have cut chocolate production. As a result, many cocao farmers have dropped the cash crop leading to at least a 10 percent increase in the sot of chocolate, according to Consumer Reports.
2. There are 30 to 40 beans in each cacao pod. That means it takes 47 cocoa beans to make a 1.5 oz Hershey bar. That’s a lot of cocoa beans per grocer aisle!
3. Valentines day isn’t the biggest chocolate holiday. Halloween is number 1, followed by Easter.
4. The scientific name for the tree that chocolate comes from, Theobroma cacao, means “food of the gods.”
5. It’s believed that people who are allergic to chocolate are actually allergic to cockroaches. According to the Food & Drug Administration (FDA), around eight insect parts are typically found in a bar of chocolate.
There ya have it. Still looking forward to that chocolate valentine?
Hello. Welcome to BrownMamas.com a blog for Black moms looking to thrive while raising kids in this hectic world and the headquarters for Pittsburgh Brown Mamas, a Pittsburgh support group for Black moms. Here I write about raising my three boys, living in and loving Pittsburgh, dating my husband, gardening and all kinds of other stuff. Thanks for visiting. Stay long & come often!