Brown Mamas is dedicated to ensuring that moms thrive, so we compiled lists of resources for single moms in Pittsburgh. From discount info items, to birth and breastfeeding help, we got you.
Sometimes it truly gets hard out here for a pimp. Don’t be afraid to ask for help mama, that’s what we’re here for. Check out the resources we compiled for single moms in Pittsburgh. Our list includes both government and non-profit organizations from all over Pittsburgh. Need help with diapers, food, housing, or anything else? We got you. Got more questions?Send us an email at email@example.com.
While you’re looking, don’t forget to check out all the cool stuff Brown Mamas has to offer!
Check out the Brown Mamas Blueprint Podcast! Hosted by our very own Muffy Mendoza. In the Blueprint Podcast we discuss all kinds of things pertaining to Black Women. We listed a couple episodes about healing and self-care below!
Some books to read
Advice on moving to Pittsburgh
Dear Mama, You Are Appreciated – Tupac – Inspiration for Single Moms in Pittsburgh
Hey Mama, I wanna scream so loud for you cause I’m so proud of you – Kanye West – Single moms in Pittsburgh Inspiration
- Just Harvest addresses hunger in Allegheny County at its root – economic injustice – through a focus on public policy, food access, and community power. Click here for more info. Get help with the application for food stamps, WIC, and locate after school grab and go meals here or call (412) 431-8960 x602.
- Focus on Renewal offers a food pantry every Tuesday from 9-12 for Stowe Township Community members. Click here for more info.
- Apply for SNAP
- Locate a Food Bank
- Local Feeding Sites
- Feeding Pa – find local food assistance options
- Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank
MAMA I JUST WANT YOU TO KNOW, LOVING YOU IS LIKE FOOD TO MY SOUL – BOYS II MEN – A SONG FOR MAMA – SINGLE MOMS IN PITTSBURGH INSPIRATION
- The Urban League of Greater Pittsburgh is a HUD-certified housing counseling agency with a wide variety of programs including rental assistance and hunger services. Click here for more info.
- Community Human Services empowers individuals and families to live in stable housing, connect to community resources, build relationships, and access quality food. They offer a wide variety of programs including youth programs, in-home services, housing assistance, a food pantry, and more. Click here for more info.
- Action Housing empowers people to build more secure and self-sufficient lives through the provision of decent, affordable housing, essential supportive services, asset building programs, and educational and employment opportunities. Programs offered include mortgage assistance, affordable home repair, weatherization program, and a homebuyer assistance program. Click here to find out more and to access a more detailed list of programs offered by Action Housing.
- Allegheny Network of Care can direct you to emergency housing, crisis and emergency services, financial/expense assistance, food, clothing, and household goods, and much more. Click here to see and access services offered.
- LIHEAP offers financial help to households suffering from heating crises. Click here to apply.
- Duquesne Light offers a number of payment assistance programs including a weatherization program. Click here for more info.
- Genesis of Pittsburgh – Genesis House is a maternity care facility for pregnant women in need of shelter. Click here or call 412-766-5212 for more info.
- Lifeline Discount Program provides subscribers a discount on monthly telephone service, broadband Internet service, or bundled voice-broadband packages purchased from participating wireline or wireless providers. Click here for more info.
- Internet Essentials offers internet at a low rate for eligible applicants. They also have a low-cost laptop program. Once you are an Internet Essentials customer, you have the option to purchase a laptop or desktop computer at a discounted price. Click here for more info.
- Sisters Place offers a housing program for families experiencing homelessness and a transitional housing program for families that do not meet HUD homelessness definitions and/or qualify for HUD funded housing. Click here for more info.
- Bethlehem Haven provides shelter and supportive services to thousands of homeless women. They have an emergency shelter, permanent supportive housing, and acute and post-acute medical care for patients experiencing homelessness. Click here for more info.
- The Allegheny County Human Services website has a list of housing resources including mortgage assistance, rental payment assistance, housing authorities, homeless services, and discrimination resources. Click here to access.
- CAP offers several benefits to those who are eligible, including a reduced monthly bill, debt forgiveness and security deposit waiver.
- Columbia Gas offers CAP, financial assistance for the repair or replacement of natural gas furnaces, water heaters, service & house lines and space heaters, and a free weatherization program. Click here for more info.
- People’s Gas offers an emergency furnace repair program. Click here for more info.
- The Allegheny Lead Safe Homes program offers qualifying homeowners and renters in Allegheny County with free lead-paint testing throughout their homes and hires a certified lead abatement contractor to repair any lead hazards found up to $12,000. Click here for more info.
- Habitat for Humanity of Greater Pittsburgh offers several affordable home repair programs designed to help low-income homeowners. Click here for more info.
- Hosanna Industries builds and repairs homes for needy households, mobilizes relief workers to areas of disaster, teaches and leads workshops in art and spirituality, and trains young people in construction skills. Click here for more info.
- Rebuilding Together Pittsburgh has programs like Core Repair, Rehab for Resale, Safe & Healthy Homes, Energy Audits and Assessments, and Emergency Utility Repair Programs. Click here for more info.
- Clean Water Assistance Program for help paying for water, click here.
- North Hills Community Outreach might be able to help qualifying families with utilities through various programs. Click here for more info.
- Pittsburgh Presbyterian Lazarus Fund provides financial assistance to families and individuals of Allegheny County for rent, mortgage payments, security deposits, and utilities. Click here for more info.
- Allegheny Valley Association of Churches may be able to help with rent or mortgage payments, utility assistance, household repairs, transportation, medical care and more. Click here for more info.
- Pittsburgh Community Services Inc. is offering qualifying Pittsburgh residents FREE home safety products. Contact PCSI today at 412-904-4700 and ask for Jim. Mention “NSP” or complete the below link.
Mama, you live and you learn, that’s the way life goes – Beyoncé – ring off – Inspiration for single moms in Pittsburgh
- The REACH Foundation advocates and educates the public on the benefits of tuition tax credits, charter schools (including cyber charter schools) and homeschooling. Click here for more info.
- Pittsburgh Public Schools Magnet Schools and Programs allows students to pursue special interests, talents or career goals. Magnet schools are not neighborhood specific, so students who reside anywhere in the Pittsburgh Public School District can apply to attend. Click here for more info.
- Thinking about Homeschooling? Click here.
- Need a list of Pittsburgh Independent Schools? Click here.
- FAME‘s (Fund for Advancement of Minority Education) mission is to educate, empower and embolden African American youth to become student ambassadors of today, leaders of tomorrow, and stewards of their communities by providing access to college preparatory education at participating independent schools in the Greater Pittsburgh area through the provision of need based financial assistance. Click here for more info.
- The Opportunity Scholarship Tax Credit Program allows students in the bottom 15% of schools statewide to obtain a scholarship to attend a participating public or private school through the Opportunity Scholarship Tax Credit (OSTC) Program. Click here for more info.
- The Children’s Scholarship Fund of Pa
- The Extra Mile Education Foundation provides scholarships for low-income children to attend Pittsburgh Catholic schools. Click here for more info.
- Crossroads (Catholic School Scholarships) provide promising youth who have limited options access to a quality Catholic high school education by nurturing their academic and personal growth so they are prepared to succeed in college and in life. Click here for more info.
- PACE believes in partnering with the child, family, school district and behavioral/mental health providers to develop an individual education program for every student with emotional, behavioral or social challenges and/or autism. Click here for more info.
- A+ Schools helps you navigate your way to identifying schools that will work best for you and your child. Click here for more info.
- Wesley Family and Services provides multiple resources and services related to justice & child welfare, community empowerment, education, IDD’s, and autism. Click here for a detailed list of services.
- Focus on Renewal offers a positive parenting program. Through their involvement in PAT, parents work with a parent educator to gain knowledge that will help ensure that their children will learn, grow and develop to realize their full potential. They also have a free, year-round family center. They offer kindergarten readiness (ages 3-5), weekly parent groups, family field trips and fun nights, and more. Click here for more info.
Resources for children with developmental delays
- Alliance for Infants and Toddlers provides early intervention services, offering a variety of supports and services designed to build and enhance the natural learning that occurs in the early years. Click here for more info.
- Allegheny Intermediate Unit offers a variety of unique, child-focused special education services for students with special needs. Click here for more info.
- Pittsburgh Public Schools offers developmental screenings in the areas of cognitive, physical, communication, social and emotional, self-help, hearing and vision. Click here for more info.
You mean so much and I’m so thankful that you’re in my life and I appreciate your love and all your sacrifice – Ashanti- Mother – Inspiration for Single Moms in Pittsburgh
- The mission of the Pittsburgh Black Breastfeeding Circle (PBBC), is to protect, promote and support breastfeeding as the cultural norm and optimal feeding method for mothers and babies of African Descent in Pittsburgh and surrounding areas. Click here for more info.
- Genesis of Pittsburgh – The Learning Center at genesis: expectant parents and parents with a child under the age of one can attend free classes to learn about pregnancy, childbirth, and parenting in a supportive environment. Click here for more info.
- Breastfeeding Center of Pittsburgh offers prenatal and breastfeeding classes. Click here for more info.
- Midwife Center promotes wellness by providing exceptional, client-centered primary gynecological, pregnancy and birthing care in southwestern Pennsylvania’s only independent birth center. Click here for more info.
- Birth Doula’s of Pittsburgh has a network of trained and experienced doulas knowledgeable in newborn care, postpartum recovery, breast, chest and bottle feeding, family support and most importantly – care for the birthing person. Click here for more info.
- Healthy Start Center for Urban Breastfeeding (HSCUB) is pleased to provide lactation support, education, advocacy and outreach to black women in Allegheny County. Click here for more info.
- Sankofa Childbirth Education and Lactation Services offers classes and helps guide parents through the sacred experiences of childbirth and breastfeeding. Click here for more info.
- MAYA Organization provides mentors, doulas & assistance for Pittsburgh parents. Click here for more info.
- Click here for Iyanna B. Doula Services The Birthing Hut Podcast
- Breastfeeding helpline Call 412-687-2243 If you have questions or concerns about breastfeeding your baby, the Health Department will put you in contact with a specialist.
- Join the Facebook group Black Exclusively Pumping Mamas here.
- Mid Atlantic Mothers Milk Bank provides donor human milk from carefully screened donors. Click here for more info.
For all the mothers fighting for better days to come and all my women sitting here trying to come home before the sun, and all my sisters coming together, say yes I will, say yes I can, cause I am superwoman – Alicia Keys – Superwoman – Single Moms in Pittsburgh Inspiration
- HandInHand Counseling promotes HOPE, HEALTH, and HEALING to individuals and families dealing with generational and situational obstacles. Click here for more info.
- Visions Toward Peace Counselling provides a non-judgmental, supportive, and safe space for you to work through the challenges you are facing. Click here for more info.
- A Peace of Mind Inc. provides quality caring therapy to a community of people, this will establish a vision of peace, wholeness and enhance the quality of life. Click here for more info.
- Amy Joy – One Centered Life helps women to know who they are, and what they truly desire from deep within the depths of their souls and support them in pursuing their life’s passions & higher purpose without fear and doubt. Click here for more info.
- Dr. Udekwu: Greater Pittsburgh Pediatric Center is led by Dr. Catherine N. Udekwu, a respected health-care professional and pediatric doctor serving the Greater Pittsburgh region. She is the top-rated pediatrician in Pittsburgh with more than 200 “5-star” reviews across Facebook and Google. Dr. Udekwu’s acclaimed private practice – one of the few in Pittsburgh – has led to her being featured as a pediatric expert on NPR. Click here for more info.
- Lifeline provides free pregnancy testing and caring confidential counseling services to pregnant women and their family members over the telephone and in office. Click here for more info or call 412-562-0543
- Click here for a list of Black doctors.
- Click here for a list of Black therapists.
Mama said there’ll days like this, there’ll be days like this mama said – The Shirelles – Mama Said – Single Moms in Pittsburgh Inspiration
- The Blessing Board is a non-profit organization existing to provide donated household furnishings to those in need at no cost. Click here for more info.
- Off the Floor Furniture is a faith based volunteer ministry which, since 2004, has provided basic used furniture like beds, dressers, tables, and chairs to disadvantaged families who lack these items. Click here for more info.
- Saint Vincent De Paul is a non-profit organization that serves local individuals in need on a person-to-person level. They provide various kinds of assistance throughout the Pittsburgh area including a discount mattress program. Assistance can include, food, clothing, furniture, rent, utility and medical assistance. Click here for more info.
- National Council of Jewish Women Thriftique (Secondhand clothing, furniture, housewares) NCJW Pittsburgh Section operates a retail store that not only generates funds to support our mission, but also provides a platform for member volunteerism, community service projects, internships, and employment opportunities for at-risk women moving towards self-sufficiency and young adults with special needs. Click here for more info.
A Angel gave me love, I’m thankful to ever know a woman so real – Nas – Dance – Single Moms in Pittsburgh Inspiration
- Jeremiah’s Place protects children and strengthens families by providing a safe haven of respite, health, renewal, and support for children when their families are experiencing a critical need for childcare. They also offer emergency childcare with registration. Click here for more info.
- Angel’s Place is a cooperative community and a home away from home. It is a place where children feel cared for and where families can feel relaxed, supported, and involved. Their family-centered child care services and early childhood education programs are available at no cost or at significantly reduced rates to qualifying parents. Click here to apply.
- Looking for free Summer camps and other activities? Click here.
- Click here for a list of Black owned child-care centers.
- Childcare Partnership
- The Child Care Works Subsidized Child Care Program helps low-income families pay their child care fees. Click here to see if you qualify.
It all worked out, girl, we should’ve known cause you deserve it – Drake – Look What You’ve Done- Single Moms in Pittsburgh Inspiration
- Dress for Success empowers women to achieve economic independence by providing a network of support, professional attire and the development tools to help women thrive in work and in life. Click here for more info.
- The Family Centers of Allegheny County provides programs for infants, toddlers and preschoolers that encourage learning, parenting support groups for parents of children up to 18 years of age, home visits for pregnant women and families with infants and toddlers, and advocacy training for caregivers who want to contribute to their community. Click here for more info.
- Want to join the Brown Mamas community? Click here to learn about upcoming events and programs we offer.
- When She Thrives is dedicated to equipping single mothers to move their families from poverty to prosperity through advocacy, education, personal + professional development. Click here for more info.
- Catholic Charities Free Health Care Center provides completely free, high-quality medical and dental care to those who are uninsured and under-insured, 19 years-old and older. Click here for more info.
- The Alignment Chapter helps low income single mothers and families in 22 states and 83 communities in need of emergency same-day assistance. We deliver or ship the basic necessities they need to stay aligned with their financial obligations while maintaining a stress-free home. Click here for more info.
- Looking for some good-reads on self-care and motherhood? Single-Mom Defined is a great resource! Click here.
- FOCUS Pittsburgh Free Health Care Center provides free healthcare. Click here for more info.
- Northside Christian Health Center provides affordable health care to underserved persons on the Northside and surrounding neighborhoods. Click here for more info.
- Familylinks assures that all children, families and seniors in western Pennsylvania have the tools they need to be healthy, happy and strong for life. Services are offered in the areas of mental health and substance abuse, case management & service coordination, housing & independent living, and school services. Click here for more info.
- Carnegie library offers free resume help and career guidance.
- Be sure to subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get up-to-date resources and information on mothering-in-color!